Club History

The original Maybole Club was founded by Thomson Cochran (a WW1 veteran) in 1951 or thereabouts. It was in existence in 1952 when it was represented in the Maybole Pageant. Thomson Cochran (Pop to the irreverent but not in his hearing) was an interesting character. He designed and built a monstrosity of a control line plane which was appropriately christened The Pig. The Frog 500 spark ignition engine had been adapted to a glow engine. Its flights could be numbered on one hand due to the almost total impossibility of getting the engine to run. The club was very much geared to the youngsters of Maybole. Pop deserves much credit for the considerable and selfless effort he spent on their behalf. The original flying site comprised the first fairway of the Maybole Golf Club. There was no Sunday golf in these days so the modellers had the course to themselves on Sunday afternoons. Rubber powered models and gliders predominated. As the 50,s wore on, power models came into their own with control line and free flight supplanting the gliders and rubber powered models. The club has premises at Inches Close, Maybole (now Co-op). There was a vibrant club social life with talks, games, darts & cards on Sunday evenings. The odd engine being run in would act as a magnet to the regulars of the adjacent chip shop who would come to see what was afoot. An alternative flying site at The Sheep Park on the road to Kirkmichael was used as the need arose. A site very close but to the South East of the current Girvan Model Club flying field at Howmoor was also used. The annals say that the zenith of the Maybole Club was their expedition by shooting brake (equivalent to a large Estate Car) to the British Nationals at Hemswell in Lincolnshire in 1956. Maybole,s Quinton Wilson won the Free Flight Scale competition with his Prestwick Pioneer notwithstanding the last minute application of the finishing transfers the night before. The club declined in the 60,s doubtless with the advent of television and National Service for the young bucks of the 50,s taking their toll. By the 1970,s it had more or less become defunct. Technology came to the aid of the hobby in the 1970,s with the gradual advent of relatively cheap and highly effective radio control equipment. In 1977, another Maybole Club came into being with the accent very much on radio control. Founder members were John Ferguson, Jimmy Ross, Bob & Bertie Jardine and Brendan McDowall. There was some ducking & diving for suitable flying sites with the eventual fixing on a site at Meadownay Farm near Howmoor and with a back up site at, The Sheep Park. Club premises were procured at the Employment Exchange, Ladyland Road, Maybole. The membership mainly came from the Girvan area hence the eventual change of name to the Girvan Model Club. The old Turnberry airstrip came into use for many years with the Hill Farm near Girvan used by the gliding fraternity. John Walters and Jim Scott joined the club in the 70,s. A leading edge pair these two. John Walters competed in every model flying discipline known to the times. In aerobatics, he achieved 3rd in Scotland and 7th at the British Nationals. In class 2 scale, he achieved 4th in the British Nationals with his De Havilland Dragon (twin engined bi-plane). The full size plane, from which his model was based, is still to be seen at the East Fortune museum. He also excelled at slope soaring, thermal gliding and pylon racing. Jim Scott achieved 3rd place in the Scottish Nationals Stand Off scale with his third scale Spacewalker. Jim,s expertise as an engineer served him well in the early days of radio control, when he built / assembled much of his own electronic equipment. A semi-proportional valve transmitter was followed by a three channel Flight Link proportional transmitter. Jim has achieved the exalted status of being a judge at the F4C scale class at the British Nationals since 2002. Turnberry ceased to be practical in the 1990,s with the increased traffic on the adjacent road and an increased horse population being the major factors. Meadownay regained its place as the principal flying site. Meadownay was sold at the end of 2002 with the new owner unable to continue to accommodate model aeroplane flying. In 2003 Morrison Farms granted the club permission to fly at a field belonging to them at Howmoor. In April 2004, the tenancy of the flying field changed with the new tenant being Mr Drew Young of Girvan Mains Farm, Girvan. Drew is committed to operate the tenancy on a more commercial basis than had been the case in recent years. His operating practises have not, and should not, pose the club any problems it cannot handle Membership of the club flourished in 2003 and 2004. A membership limit of 55 was set at the 2004 AGM with membership at that time being 53. This limit is not set in stone but will require the authorization of the membership should the committee seek to increase it. At the 2006 AGM it was decided that the club should have a new name change and the club changed its name to the Ayr & District Model Flyers. The membership now mainly comes from the Ayr and surrounding area hence the eventual change of name.